xdi message

Subject: RE: [XRIXDI] RE: [xdi] Prototypical use case attempt: Registration

Fen, per my last response to Victor, you are correct, I was assuming that
the e-numbers were assigned by the Registry.

So =:1000/:1234 would be assigned by the = Registry, and could then be used
as a cross-reference under their own e-number/e-name space by each Registrar
or Data Broker that needs to reference the same logical registrant.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Fen Labalme [mailto:fen@idcommons.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 12:06 AM
To: Drummond Reed
Cc: 'XDI TC'; xrixdi@idcommons.net

There's still the problem of who *chooses* the e-number being
registered.  A Registry working with several Registrars could not allow
each Registrar to define an e-number to be registered in the Registry's
"e-number-space" for reasons of e-number collisions.  In your previous
example (a few emails back), you wrote:

 >>>Global e-name: =Drummond
 >>>Global e-number: =:1000/:1234

I parse these numbers to read :1000 is the Registry (e.g. Neustar) and
:1234 is Drummond's unique e-number.  (Perhaps I am parsing it
incorrectly?  Is the :1000 referring to the Registrar?)  If my parsing
is accurate, then the Registry *must* be in charge of creating these
e-numbers.

The *reason* for creating them is to tack on to the URI the Registrar
provides (pointing to, in our case, a Data Broker), so that the entire
URI might look something like:

	https://data.broker.com/xri/global/(=:1000/:1234)

This provides a resolvable, privacy protected path to (e.g.) Drummond's
profile data.

Further comments prefixed by "FEN>" below.

Drummond Reed wrote:
> Here's the way I see it (which is all in terms of XRI synonyms, mind you).
>
> Any registry at any level that wants to be able to track an XDI account
> separate from the e-names registered to resolve to that account will issue
> an e-number for the account. Thanks to XRI cross-referencing, that
e-number
> can then be used in the context of any other registry or XSP to identify
> that account (simply by cross-referencing it under their own e-name(s) or
> e-number(s)).

FEN> So yes, the Registry is in charge of issuing e-numbers.  The
Registrar will have to have a mechanism (at e-name registration time) of
obtaining this e-number.

FEN> Separate question: when is a cross-reference not opaque?  The
second registry, using a cross-referenced e-number issued by the first
registry, must have some way of knowing that this is not just a string
of characters, but rather a string that "references"

> The global registry services will almost certainly follow this policy
> because that's what we're going to propose to XDI.ORG.
>
> Therefore the scenario when doing a global e-name resolution request with
> the global registry will be as follows:
>
> 1) global e-name is resolved to
> 2) global e-number which is resolved to
> 3) current URI registered for that global e-number.

FEN> This is our understanding, too.

> In the case of an individual in the Identity Commons model, this current
URI
> will point to the registrant's XDI account at whatever data broker a
> user/organization has selected to be their home data broker for that
e-name.

FEN> Yes, as noted above.

> Note that this means if a user/organization wants to register multiple
> global e-names, the user/organization has the option of resolving them to
> the SAME XDI account or to DIFFERENT XDI accounts. This may be confusing
> the user/organization, but it's essentially the same thing as registering
> second domain name and having it point to a) an existing website, or b) a
> new website.

FEN> Such synonymous resolutions could occur either at the Registry
(multiple e-names to same e-number) or at the Data Broker (multiple
e-names to multiple e-numbers that all resolve to the same place).

> Thus these options must be accounted for in the registration scenarios,
> i.e., there must be scenarios for:
>
> 1) Registering a global E-NUMBER and the corresponding URI for the XDI
> resource (such as an XDI account) to which it resolves.

FEN> Can a Registrar register a global e-number of its choosing?  This
seems ripe for e-number-space collisions, unless the Registrar prefixes
the e-number with its own e-number, effectively making the Registrar a
Registry of e-numbers in its local space.  In such a case, wouldn't the
e-number being Registered to the "Global" Registry then be a
cross-reference to the e-number in the Registrar's name space?

> 2) Registering a global E-NAME and pointing it at the global e-number to
> which it resolves.

FEN> This is the simple case.

> 3) Doing 1 and 2 at the SAME TIME, to make it easy for registrants.

FEN> My suggestion is that the registrant submits an e-name to the
Registrar, which in turn submits it to the Registry along with the base
URI for the e-name's resolution authority (Data Broker).  The Registry
then returns to the Registrar an associated "Registry-global" e-number.
  Finally, the Registrar, which is in close association with the Data
Broker, passes this e-number to the Data Broker for account set up.

FEN> This scenario is described in a bit more detail in "Variation 1:
Steps/Activities" of the UseCase at
http://xrixdi.idcommons.net/moin.cgi/XdiUseCases_2fEnameRegistration

> 4) Registering a SECOND (or Nth) global e-number (i.e., repeating 1, but
for
> a new XDI resource, such as a second and completely independent XDI
> account).

FEN> Again, can the Registrar register global e-numbers of its choosing?
  On the other hand, I imagine that some entities may desire e-numbers
and not need an e-name.  This is no problem at all, as the Registrar
would simply be requesting the registration of an empty (NULL) e-name,
which could be defined (by protocol) to mean that only an e-number is
necessary.  In this case, the Registry would issue and e-number and
return it, and internally attach the URI to the resolution authority in
the same way as if an e-name had been requested.

> 5) Registering a SECOND (or Nth) global e-name (i.e., repeating 2, but
> pointing it at the selected e-number, which could be anything registered
in
> 1 or 4).

FEN> This is easy, just attach the same e-number to an e-name in the
Registry (though a protocol for this will have to be developed).  If not
done at the Registry, it could easily be accomplished by the Data Broker.