xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] +x/+y/+x+y

Dear Drummond,

thanks for your reply. In order to properly understand this issue, I've gone through previous replies you gave to similar questions. I've found the following sentences:

- "By definition that means that the XDI subject address +x+y infers the XDI statement +x/+y/+x+y."

- "What $has and $has$a have in common is that both describe an outgoing arcs on an XDI subject, both are rooted in $has which is the metagraph predicate representing an outgoing arc."

- "the RDF relationship represented by +x+y has a direct RDF graph that doesn't require any of the XDI metagraph predicates toe express. In ASCII art (where [] is a node and --- label ---> is an arc):  [+x] --- +y ---> [+x+y] Note that all three XRIs are needed to capture this graph in standard RDF."

Now, all these have in common that they all refer to a notation, the standard RDF graph notation, in which predicates are expressed through arcs. That standard notation is born to support RDF statements, but as you correctly pointed out many times:

"[…] XDI addressing is so foreign to RDF: it requires structured identifiers to express the semantics, and in conventional RDF the identifiers are opaque"

The statement +x/+y/+x+y comes from an attempt to express the semantics of a composite identifier (+x+y) through that conventional RDF graph notation. However, that notation cannot capture this semantics, as it makes no assumption about the meaning of the identifiers it uses (identifiers are opaque to conventional RDF). Though syntactically correct, and as such expressible using conventional RDF graph notation, I think that +x/+y/+x+y might be, from a semantic point of view, at least an unnecessary statement (if not even a dangerous one). Of course we can give it "by definition", but this definition comes from the fact that we are using the conventional RDF graph notation with “non conventional” identifiers. That’s exactly what I meant by saying “+x/+y/+x+y is probably biased by a specific notation”.

I understand that maintain backward compatibility with previous standards is in general required. However, this time we risk to pay an unjustified price: introducing artificial statements.

Or maybe I'm missing something? What do you think?

Thanks,
Giovanni