xdi message

Subject: Simple XDI Use Case

Here is the use case:

A student "Foo1" from University A and a student "Foo2" from Univerity B
"high-four" their pokens.

Each poken is associated with a "Persona." Foo1's persona is private.
Foo2's persona is public.

Foo1's persona is private. When Foo2 downloads his poken data,
Foo1 automatically sees a "friend request." After accepting this friend
request, a link contract is created, and Foo1 should be able to see the
respective published attributes.

Foo2's persona is public. When Foo1 downloads his poken contacts, he
should immediately be able to see Foo2's persona information (attributes).

XDI is necessary because between institutions, we cannot use LDAP. The
LDAP server is managed at the organizational level, and there is no way to
create ACIs to allow Foo1 or Foo2 (or a server on their behalf) to access
the data. Also, the policy is too complicated to express in an LDAP ACI.

- Mike