xdi message

Subject: RE: [xdi] about addresses, synonyms and equivalence (was: Re:Agenda: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2:30PM PT 2011-03-24)

Thanks Giovanni, some responses inline, prefaced with a [wab].

> good questions which could open a long discussion. Anyway please find some first quick thoughts below...

>> Another thought to consider regarding synonyms...
>> Given =abc/$/=!1234, is =abc always resolution equivalent to =!1234,
>> or is this resolution equivalent scoped to the context of the
>> requester?

>To me they are synonyms, see below why I believe this.

>> Example:
>> Let's say I have two personas, =eng and  =bill. The current method
>> reveals the i-number via =bill/$/!1234 when the =bill graph is
>> queried. If the requester has the permissions to see =bill and =eng
>> from the same data authority, but not the link between them, then
>> there's a problem when =eng/$/!1234 is seen, because !1234/$$/=eng is
>> implied and from that =bill/$/=eng, if resolution equivalence is a
>> symmetric relation.

> This is the case if we state that !1234 and =bill are synonyms and
> that =eng and !1234 are synonyms. In my view, =bill, =eng, !1234 (is
> that correct or =!1234 is the correct form?) are all XRI addresses
> which are synonyms, i.e. that resolve to the *same* *node* in the global graph.

> [I deliberately leave open the matter of what is a node and which
> identifier/address it is assigned - to me it depends on the binding
> context (likely http) just as a XRI depends on the binding context to
> turn into a concrete identifier, but this is another topic. When the \
> binding is chosen you can then resolve the XRIs. If they *resolve* to
> the same http address, e.g., they are "resolution equivalent". As before
> stated, synonyms must always resolve to the same node and thus to the
> same http addresses and therefore I call them "resolution equivalent"].

[wab] If you have a node that is available on more than one channel, for example XMPP and HTTP, and two requests resolve the data through the different channels are those channels resolution equivalent? To me they are iff  the data transported over the channel is the same data in the graph, i.e. an update to that data through either channel would result in the same graph transformation.

>> To get around that personas can't be synonyms they have to be
>> sub-contexts (i.e., narrowing of the meaning of the
>> specific individual).  That means =eng/$/=!5678 and =bill/$/=!1234.
>> So then is =eng/$/=bill if you can see the whole graph? I wouldn't
>> think so.
>>

> I agree that synonyms are not at all a way to model different personas.

> About how to model personas in XDI there is a thread started here
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201011/msg00024.html and not
> yet closed. Please see also my replies at
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201011/msg00030.html and
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xdi/201011/msg00031.html.
> These clearly show that personas are not treated as synonyms.

[wab] Yet several of the discussions I've seen treat personas as synonyms I believe.  I agree that different personas should not be synonyms of each other and that's part of what I was trying to say, that I think the current graph model may lead implementers down the wrong path of treating personas as synonyms.  I remember those conversations but need to re-read them to refresh.

>> The point I'm trying to make is logical equivalence vs resolution
>> equivalence: should resolution equivalence really be a symmetric
>> relation and defined similar to owl:sameAs, or an asymmetric relation
>> and defined similar to skos:narrows?  I think the skos:narrows
>> approach actually could give us nearly as much semantic
> expressibility, perhaps more if we repurposed a second GCS to indicate
>> narrowing/broadening(when inverted) vs equivalence ?

> Both mechanisms are useful, but in different situations. I've tried to
> explain before how synonyms (owl:sameAs) and "resolution equivalence"
> are bound together. Narrowing and broadening are something which I wouldn't
> call "equivalence" (lacking of the transitive property which is instead in
> any equivalence relationship), but, yes, they could be useful concepts to
> include. As regarding symbols, $= could be a choice for synonymity, provided
> we need one (we could simply leave a xref to owl:sameAs instead...)

[wab] I remember our conversations and agree that what I am talking about would not be equivalence.  I've always maintained the most powerful relations we have are subset-of, member-of, and their inverses.  The existence of $words for those, and the accepted $words to use, has changed over time. Inverse of member-of is currently $has I believe, so member-of is $$has (I still think we should have a $in for that). I've always gone with the approach that an individual is a set of max cardinality 1.  That leads to member-of and subset-of being the same relation. For example 23-mar-2011 is a subset-of each in [23-mar,mar, mar-2011, 2011] and  each of those is a subset-of $d.