xdi message

Subject: Auto-Increment

One issue we have run into is that its inefficient to find out the next unordered id. I have a suggestion for a specialized get predicate:

 $get$autoincrement

which returns the next available unordered identifier (i.e. !1, !2, !5, etc).

Thoughts? The server could also optionally hold the returned autoincrement id for the client for a configurable amount of time.

The only other way to implement this is for the client to get back all unordered results... its messy. And there would still be no guarantee that two clients wouldn't try to take the same id, which would cause one operation to fail.

- Mike