xdi message

Subject: Minutes: XDI TC Telecon Friday 2014-04-04

XDI TC Minutes

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC at:

Date:  Friday, 4 April 2014 USA
Time:  09:00AM - 10:30AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:30 UTC)

ATTENDING

Les Chasen
Hubert Le Van Gong
Joseph Boyle
Peter Davis
Will Martin
Markus Sabadello
Dan Blum
Phil Windley

GUESTS

REGRETS

Animesh Chowdhury
Andy Dale

NEWS & UPDATES

None scheduled.

PRESENTATIONS/DISCUSSIONS

EU funding for XDI research

Dan has written up a few ideas in response to the call we had with Neil McEvoy about EU funding. Markus explained one of his ideas, which is to develop XDI on embedded devices. This would be attractive for use cases in the fields of privacy (FreedomBox), and for the Internet of Things.

Next Steps on Working Drafts

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiOneSpecs

https://github.com/OASIS-XDI-Technical-Committee/xdi-spec-docbook

Stylesheet path should be:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="">

We assigned the following specs and action items:

Markus: Will upload his (broken) messaging spec draft

Joseph: Will look at Markus’ messaging spec draft, Will revise Core spec (e.g. serialization)

Will: Discovery

Dan: Privacy Mechanisms

Hubert: HTTP(S) Binding

Peter: Signatures, Security Mechanisms, Policy

Les: dictionary

Drummond: review core. start dictionary

We discussed renaming the Signatures spec to Cryptography spec, so that it can also cover encryption and other topics.

We agreed to have weekly “scrum” status reports on spec progression from now on.

XDI Signatures

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiSignature

We talked a bit about being able to store certain signature and key “metadata features” in a graph. We also talked about detached signatures, i.e. having a signature in a (sub-)graph that is separate from the (sub-)graph it covers.

Serialization Formats

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/SerializationFormats

We did not discuss any new issues.

Link Contract Addressing

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LinkContractPattern

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/LinkContractPattern/Discussion

We went over the patterns once again and agreed the “inner root” based patterns make sense.

We discussed how a governor link contract could exist on both sides of a relationship. For example, on Alice’s side, the governor link contract can have policies for processing incoming connection requests. On Acme’s side, the purpose of the governor link contract is similarly to govern new incoming connections.

Dan explained once again the issue of portability. If link contracts reference external directories that are CSP specific, then those link contracts would not be portable. Dan suggested XDI adopters such as Respect Network would define profiles for the generic XDI link contract / policy mechanisms.

I-JSON and JSON Schema

We did not discuss any new issues.

NEXT CALL

The next call is next week at the regular time.