xdi message

Subject: Last call for feedback on XDI Core 1.0 ABNF

As Joseph and Markus and I head into the final 10 days of editing, I want to make sure anyone who has not looked over the ABNF does so ASAP.

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/XdiAbnf

The two questions Markus raised on the last TC call have been answered to his satisfaction (I believe—correct me if I'm wrong, Markus).

I did my own proof-reading tonight and found two small bugs that were an easy fix:
  • peer-root-variable = "{" peer-root "}"          ==>          peer-root-variable = "{" peer-root-instance "}"

  • inner-root-variable = "{" inner-root "}"        ==>          inner-root-variable = "{" inner-root-instance "}"

The one remaining question (that Joseph had poised in the previous version of the ABNF) is whether we should make any adjustments to the whitespace rules in the ABNF we inherit from JSON. My proposed answer is "No" because:
  1. I don't see any reason we should be more restrictive than the ABNF rules that the JSON community has already established.
  2. We will (I assume) normalize out whitespace for any XDI signature or encryption operations anyway.
Does anyone disagree? If so, please speak up now by reply to this thread so we can eliminate this as a topic we need to talk about on next Monday's call.

BTW, I strongly encourage everyone on the TC to attend the next two calls (Monday Oct 12 and Monday Oct 19, both 10-11:30PT) as they are our final two calls before we open the XDI Core 1.0 Committee Specification Draft vote after the October 19 call. It will be an online vote, so it will have to run for a minimum of 1 week to close before IIW, which is why we need to open it on the 19th.

Thanks,

=Drummond