xdi message

Subject: XDI TC Notes Unofficial Telecon Tuesday 2017-06-12

XDI TC Notes

Following are the notes of the unofficial telecon of the XDI TC held on:

Date: Monday, 12 June 2017 USA
Time: 9:00AM - 10:00AM Pacific Time (16:00-17:00 UTC)

The TC operates under a standing rule approved 17 July 2008 under which the TC does not hold regular official meetings and conducts all business by electronic ballot only. Unofficial weekly meetings are held to enable discussion among members but no business is conducted nor actions taken.

ATTENDING

Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed

NOTES

DKMS & XDI

We continued the topic started last week. Drummond is currently engaged in an SBIR Phase 2 contract with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on DKMS (Decentralized Key Management System). A high level description is available in this document:

https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-spring2017/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/dkms-decentralized-key-mgmt-system.md

Last week we discussed that there were several areas where XDI could be used to implement DKMS:

  1. Using the XDI graph model for DKMS keychains and DKMS wallets.

  2. Using the XDI protocol for sharing/synchronizing private keys and master secrets across DKMS wallets.

  3. Protecting DKMS key exchanges with signed and encrypted XDI messages.

Markus agreed that the XDI graph model could provide a baseline for interop of any DKMS wallet or agent storing and processing “key graphs”. Drummond said the first step would be developing an XDI dictionary of DKMS entities and attributes. He pointed to the KMIP (Key Management Interoperability Protocol) from the OASIS KMIP TC. The current version is KMIP 1.3.

The KMIP messaging protocol is very low-level—it uses a TTLV (Tag, Type, Length, Value) encoding to maximize processing efficiency. With DKMS, an XDI implementation would use the XDI graph model and format.

We agreed this topic bears further discussion on subsequent calls.

MyData DiMe and XDI

Markus can report on the current status of enabling the DiMe personal data store with Sovrin and XDI functionality, which allows DiMe instances to register DIDs (decentralized identifiers) and establish link contract with each other. This project is run by HIIT (Helsinki Institute of Information Technology) and is part of the larger Finnish "MyData" community.

Markus reported that Sovrin and XDI functionality have been successfully added to DiMe, but that the frontend UI components are still missing. Right now, for each DiMe "profile", a separate Sovrin DID can be registered and associated with an XDI endpoint, and XDI link contracts can be established between DiMe instances. Also, public data in DiMe can be shared with a central "People Finder" indexing service that can then be used to search for other people's DiMes.

Architecture overview:

“Agent” Terminology

The evolution of self-sovereign identity (SSI) technology has led to increasing use of the term “agent” as a software program or process acting on an identity owner’s behalf to exchange identity and verifiable claims data. For example, see the Definitions section of the Sovrin Trust Framework.

Drummond proposed that we update the terminology in XDI Core to incorporate the term “XDI agent” to describe the active component processing XDI messages and graphs. Some XDI agents would have XDI endpoints—discoverable URIs—and some would not.

Markus agreed it would be a natural evolution of XDI terminology.

Beginning Work on XDI Core Committee Draft 02

We have been tracking action items for Committee Draft 02 on this wiki page:

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi/CoreSpecRevisions

We ran out of time, but in the next call we agreed we need to discuss developing a workplan and timeline for executing these action items and producing Committee Draft 02.

NEXT REGULAR CALL

Next week’s call (Monday June 19) is cancelled as Drummond will be speaking at the Congressional Blockchain Caucus meeting on identity and Phil will be traveling to speak at the Cloud Identity Summit.

The next call will be the following week, June 26, at the usual time (Monday 9AM PT). The link where agenda items can be posted for the next meeting is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19oDl0lbb56Grehx2a5flZnhrgnua5l8cVvC_dJ8fTXk/edit?usp=sharing