Subject: Re: [xliff] [Fwd: [xliff-comment] RelaxNG as an alternative/additional schemaformat for XLIFF]

This is a repost from yesterday, sorry had the wrong reply address since I can only post as comments.

-----
Hi Tony,

> Doug mentioned we can deliver non-normative Relax NG schemas sometime in the
> near future.  We will add Relax NG schema support to our list of post-1.2
> deliverables.  We'll probably await input from the public before
> implementing Schematron support.

Sounds good, RelaxNG will definitely be a plus for XLIFF.

> Thanks for your input and I hope we can count on your guidance when we
> develop the Relax NG schema.

Sure, I would be glad to be of assistance in this regard. Presently, I am a member
of the Localization Industry Standards Association and their Open Standards for
Container/Content Allowing Re-use standards body. I have just started to try to
make the case for adoption/inclusion of RelaxNG schemas for all of the localization
standards they develop. As such, I will be preparing some information for the other
members so that they can have a good overview of the pros and cons for decision
making purposes with regard to RelaxNG, I can provide a section specifically on
XLIFF also.

When I have that prepared, perhaps it would also be of interest to the XLIFF TC. If so,
I can send copies or a link to its location.

As one quick point, RelaxNG can actually function as a sort of one-stop schema format
that can easily be converted into DTD and, yes, W3C XML schema for those that need it.
It is quite easy to do and I have managed to roundtrip a number of formats with the
results remaining vaild, thus it shows itself as a lower maintenance and more flexible
option. Conversion tools under liberal licences are freely available for this.

If there is an interest I can start some experiments to produce a preliminary XLIFF
RelaxNG schema.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Raymond