Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Proposed requirement for inline SC: XMLwell-formed-ness as a design goal for XLIFF 2.0 inline markup

Hi Yves,

Thanks for letting me know the preferred operating procedure. I'll add my proposal to the requirements section.

And regarding your reply to my stated preference for identifying escaping XML markup as *not a best practice*:

Bryan >> Oh, and I'd really love it if we could discourage escaping
>> XML code (like: <seg> xxxxx<in_start id="i_01" >&lt;i&gt;</in_start>xxxxxx.</seg>
>> <seg>xxxxxx<in_end id="i_01" >&lt;/i&gt;</in_end>xxxxxx.</seg>

Yves > . . . frankly
> I don't know how we could represent '<' in
> XML content as anything but some kind of
> escaped sequence.

I think representing the reserved (or as it is referred to in the XML spec, "Predefined Entity") "less than" character in XML is adequately specified in the XML spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#sec-predefined-ent). And more generally, I am not objecting to using <bpt> <ept> where it is needed. I'm objecting to its gratuitous use. Of course we need to enable a way to escape generic code (non-XML, i.e., RTF, C#, malformed XML, etc.), or non-balanced XML that spans segments, so that the XML processor does not garble it.

To summarize my position, best practice should be:

1. When representing well-formed, non-segment-spanning XML do it in an XML-friendly way
3. When representing mal-formed or segment-spanning inline XML markup, use <bpt> <ept>

---- snip here to skip the "soap box" portion ----
I get this way because I think the X in XLIFF is as important as the L and the I and the Fs. We use XML in the actual name of our standard not because the standard is written in XML (virtually all standards are these days). We use XML because XML is the mechanism we chose to solve the I (interchange) challenge. If we identify escaping the XML as a good practice, we're a bit hypocritical.
---- now I step off my soap box ----

Sorry to be over the top. Just my humble opinion. And please forgive me if I also send my general summary to the XLIFF list as a reminder of our strategy (in general for XLIFF 2.0) to use XML process-ability as a design goal.

Thanks,

Bryan