Subject: Teleconference - Jul-13-2010 - 13:30 UTC - Summary

XLIFF Inline Markup Subcommittee Teleconference Summary

=== 1) Admin

Present: Asgeir, Yves, Andrew, Dimitra, Lucia, Arle.

Minutes of previous meeting:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201006/msg00001.html

Asgeir moves to accept the minutes.
Yves second
No dissents.

Dimitra and Lucia have joined the SC. Welcome!

=== 2) Discussion: Requirements

-- ACTION ITEM: Yves to find a real example for requirement #4
--> Not done yet, still pending

-- ACTION ITEM: Asgeir to start an email thread on the definition for "inline code".
Last proposal from discussion: "A non-textual data structure within the translatable content."
--> Done: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201007/msg00001.html

After discussion: The first sentence of the proposal looked good to all.
-> It's been added to the term definitions in the wiki.

-- ACTION ITEM: Arle to bring any additional requirement from OSCAR.
Not done yet, still pending.
Note: we'll have no more requirements when we are done going through the list, so it's important to gather any before.

--- Requirements #5/6:
Email thread: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201006/msg00002.html

After discussion we agreed on the following single entry for #5 and #6: (now #5 only)

#5: "Must allow to associate spans of content with metadata."

Examples of potential metadata associated with a span of content:

- flag indicating the span must not be translated
- flag indicating the span is a term
- Reference ID used to point to external annotation
- Translator comment
- Tool-specific processing instructions

--- Requirement #6 (was #7)

After discussion we agreed to split it into two entries: #6 and #7.

#6: "Must be able to store a display-friendly representation of an inline code for informational purpose"

For example, for an inline code representing a variable, it is useful to see the value of the variable or its name when translating. The alternative representation could also be used for hint when no other information is present while doing tasks such as alignment, etc.

For instance: given a native code "hgsdhgahgsdh" the text equivalent representation would "<b>".

(we need to replace "hgsdhgahgsdh" by some more meaningful imaginary example)

#7: "Must be able to store a text-equivalent representation of an inline code for linguistic processes"

Indicates an equivalent text to substitute in place of an inline code when doing linguistic-related processes.

For example: if, in a text "F&ile", the '&' is an inline code, the text equivalent would be an empty string indicating "F&ile" should be seen as "File" for linguistic purposes.

=== 3) Any Other Business?

Let's try to work by email too, otherwise we will spend to much time.
Yves to sent reminders if there is no activity.

-end of the meeting-