Subject: XML 1.1

Hi all,

I had an action item to gather more info about XML 1.1 to see if it could be considered for XLIFF.

From what I can see, most likely not:

--- This is a good description of the differences between 1.1 and 1.0 and the various effects:

http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/chapters/03.html

Note that while C0 and C1 characters are allowed, we would have to escape them. But more troublesome is the list of compatibility problems that come with 1.1.

--- It also seems that most XML parsers do not support XML 1.1

I don't think XML 1.1 is dead (there are work-arounds to validate 1.1 file with 1.0 schemas, some parsers support 1.1 (at least partially), etc.), but it certainly not moving much.

Overall using 1.1 for XLIFF just to support C0 and C1 characters seems to high of a price. We'll have probably more problem with 1.1 than we have with not being able to support C0 and C1 characters.

Cheers,
-yves