Subject: Teleconference - Apr-12-2011 - Summary

XLIFF Inline Markup Subcommittee Teleconference - Summary
April-12-2011

=== 1) Admin

Minutes of previous meeting:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201103/msg00001.html

Attendees: Yves, Christian, Milan, Lucía, Andrew, Bryan.

=== 2) Discussion
Requirement working page:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel/Requirements
Markup options working page:
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel/Comparison

--- 2.1) Native data representation in inline

Thread on the native data representation:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201011/msg00001.html

ACTION ITEM: Christian to contact Felix Sasaki and Richard Ishida about additional suggestion about XPath/XPointer/CSS/etc.
Done, see email here: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201103/msg00002.html

Christian: So far I only got a private reply from Felix.

ACTION ITEM: Andrew to post some "nasty" examples on inline codes.
Pending.

Andrew: got the example, just need to post it.

See also email from David in TC list:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201104/msg00025.html (item #3)

Yves: It seems all David's notes are in synch with our approach.

--- 2.2) Cloning, deletion, addition of inline codes.

Current requirements list need of feature to clone and add inline codes.
See email here: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-inline/201104/msg00000.html

Andrew: Seems replication and deletion are the two main info
Order and allowed-outside-nesting may be less used

Should we use one attribute or several?

e.g. <g canDelete='yes' canClone='yes'> or <g perm='canDelete;canClone'>

Using one may prevent some abuse.
Yves: We may need to think about how verbose the code may become with several attributes.

Andrew: Right defaults may help in reducing the verbosity.

Christian, Andrew: This could also be define at a higher level (e.g. file)
By context for example.
Bryan: almost like ITS mechanism.
Yves: then possible copy/paste-type issues: info is lost when taken out of context.

--- About representation of new codes:

Two types: replication of existing code and brand new codes.

Replication:

<x id='1'> text <x id='1'> allowed in 1.2 may not be good in 2.0 (unique ids)
<x rel='1' id='2'/> could be for 2.0

Yves: Is missing code notation fine?

Andrew: Mapping from 1.2 to 2.0 needs to be taken into account.
Bryan: We may not be able to be backward compatible all the time
Here: we are talking about mapping: how to 'convert' a 1.2 file to 2.0
Maybe tool to do the conversion?

Should be allow 'abstract' new codes?
e.g. <g ctype='bold'>text</g>

Bryan, Andrew: yes
Yves: how the filter know the native data in the case of <g>-type notation?
Andrew: -> List of allowable new codes generated by the filter.
Christian: +1
More generally: Maybe a list of constraints.
Bryan: should be optional. Some use cases where xliff is used by itself only.
Yves: optional would work.

Andrew: Such list is for the tool, maybe it should be defined outside of XLIFF?

Christian: What about the process/tool chain?
e.g. some components should not do this type of modification
--> Will need examples from Christian to illustrate this.

--- 2.3) Span/markers -type elements

XLIFF 2.0 needs specific elements rather than a generic <mrk>.
Let's start defining those elements, based on the requirements.

Examples:
<mrk mtype='term'>term</mrk>
<term>term</term>

Example of categories:

- term
- protected content / non-translatable
- comment
- auto-localizable content (date/etc.)
- transliterated content
- in general: some kind of 'annotation'

Luciía: need to make sure several annotations can be assigned to the same span of content.

Christian: -> We need to look at semantic web for inspiration. It's the same as the description of a demarcated resource.
Semantic web offers ways to do this.

ACTION ITEM: Christian to provide background info on semantic web. Possibly examples.

=== 3) Any Other Business?

- Next meeting will be May-10 at 14h00 UTC

-end