Subject: Re: [xliff-inline] Complex tag content

Hi Brian,

Don't you love email discussions where we can misread each other? I don't know if you misread me: sometimes misreading is a valuable thing anyway :-)

I don't know if I'm saying XLIFF should solve it. I rather think that this is a potentially difficult problem in general and that even if the filters solve it, they won't get a perfect solution.

But this was in response to the issue of where the best place to store markup is. There were three options. Overall I would prefer to store the markup in the trans-unit because that simplifies many downstream uses.

If the tag content is stored inline (rather than in a skeleton) it would make it easier to access the tag content when needed, but these examples showed both (a) why it is difficult (you get these gloppy messes of inline markup that you have to figure out how to display/hide) and (b) why the translator might need to get access to those gloppy messes even when the filter makes it seem that you don't need to pay attention to them.

I would, of course, argue that identifying what to show or hide should be the filters' job, but the second example shows why leaving it exclusively to the filter can be a problem as well. I doubt any HTML filter would figure what to do with that spaghetti and get it right, so the assumption would be that it was non-translatable and only manual examination would show that it is (so your point 3 is very applicable since it actually would need to be addressed even though the default assumption would have been that it was not translatable).

By the way, I'm impressed that you figured out that example 2 was malformed: I just thought it was ugly and unintelligible, but you confirmed it was a trifecta!

Best,

Arle