Subject: Sample for metadata inline representation

Hi everyone,

Regarding requirement 1.5 "Must allow to associate spans of content with metadata" (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel/Requirements#Mustallowtoassociatespansofcontentwithmetadata)

I had the action item to provide a sample text so each of us can propose different notations on how to markup those various inline metadata.

Here it is: It's made of two sentences and their translation in French:

The source: "It would certainly be quite a faux pas to start a dissertation on the origin of modern novel without mentioning the Epic of Gilgamesh. There is also the Story of Sinuhe."

The target: "Ce serait certainement un faux-pas grave de commencer une thèse sur l'origine du roman moderne, sans mentionner l'Épopée de Gilgamesh. Il y a aussi l'Histoire de Sinouhé."

In those sentences you have the following information to markup in both source and target:

a) "faux pas" should be marked as not-to-be-translated.

b) "modern novel" ("roman moderne") should be marked as a term and have some associated information/definition.

c) "Epic of Gilgamesh" ("Épopée de Gilgamesh") should have a reference to a custom information indicating it's a "book title" and holding information about that work.

d) "Story of Sinuhe" ("Histoire de Sinouhé") should have a reference to a custom information indicating it's a "book title" and holding information about that work.

e) "the Epic of Gilgamesh. There is also the Story of Sinuhe." ("l'Épopée de Gilgamesh. Il y a aussi l'Histoire de Sinouhé.") should be a span referring to an author comment about both stories.

f) "Gilgamesh" should be marked up as a "proper noun".

g) "Sinuhe" ("Sinouhé") should be marked up as a "proper noun".

And in the target:

h) "l'origine du roman modern" should be associated with a translator comment.

Since we can't do this in a void, let's used the experimental unit structure we have in the TC discussions as the canvas for the markup:

<unit id='1'>
 <segment>
  <source>It would certainly be quite a faux pas to start a dissertation on the origin of modern novel without mentioning the Epic of Gilgamesh. </source>
  <target>Ce serait certainement un faux-pas grave de commencer une thèse sur l'origine du roman moderne, sans mentionner l'Épopée de Gilgamesh. </target>
</segment>
 <segment>
  <source>There is also the Story of Sinuhe.</source>
  <target>Il y a aussi l'Histoire de Sinouhé.</target>
 </segment>
</unit>

Remember we are mostly concerned with the inline markup. It's ok to come up with structures for the outside metadata (e.g. comments, term definitions, etc.), But the only thing the sub-committee decided for those would be requirements, not implementation (the TC will do that).

Please, answer this email when providing a possible representation and use post a different email for each different representation if possible, so we have different sub-threads in the mailing lists.

I'll post one possible representation soon.

Cheers,
-yves