Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] 1.5. Must allow to associate spans of content with metadata

Hi all,

> <mrk type='theType' [id='anId'] [ref='someId'] [value='stuff']
> [translate='yes|no']>text</mrk>
> I'll try to implement this (or part of it) in the
> coming weeks to possibly catch some issue we are
> not seeing.

I've started to look at implementing this and run into one fundamental aspect we didn't discussed much lately: what to do when we have overlapping annotations/inline codes or annotations going across several segments?

For example:

Since we don't talked about placeholder-type elements for <mrk>, should we have the annotation take precedence over the code? and have:

For the cases of overlapping annotations or annotation broken by segment break, a while back we said we would create new span of annotations. So something like:

Would be encoded:

This last solution is quite complicated to implement, especially if the processing expectation is to merge the similar info when reading the segment.

I suppose this would be consistent with the <sc>/<ec> pattern and avoid any overlapping/segmentation issues.

Cheers,
-yves