Subject: RE: [xliff] Minutes of the XLIFF TC February 5th. 2002

> Conformance Sub-committee
> Reinhard has submitted a proposal to the TC for a Conformance
> sub-committee and this was agreed with the following joining:
> Reinhard Schaler, Enda McDonnell, Peter Reynolds, Tony
> Jewtushenko and John Reid. Reinhard is to chair this sub-
> committee. Tony pointed out that Oasis does not have a mechanism
> for this and concerns were raised that there might be legal
> challenges from those who were judged not to have conformed.
> It was agreed that a major part of this sub-committees work would
> be to decide on conformance and what it means to conform to the
> XLIFF standard.

Tony is correct: OASIS does not have a mechanism for performing
conformance tests, nor does it want to get into this business because of
the liability concerns.

OASIS does, however, encourage the development of conformance tests for
TC specifications which can be used by vendors and others to do their
own testing. The OASIS Conformance TC
(http://oasis-open.org/committees/ioc/), chaired by Lynn Rosenthal of
NIST, produces guidelines for the creation of conformance tests and can
be a very useful resource to you. I strongly urge you to take advantage
of their expertise.

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations