Subject: HTML Profile - Language Switching

Hi all,

Here is another question we may have to answer for the HTML mapping to
XLIFF.

======================================== QUESTION:

How can we represent language switching?

--- HTML Source Example:

her casserole absolutely delicious.</p>

The basic XLIFF representation for this would be somethin like this:

<source xml:lang='en'>She added that "<bpt id='1'>&lt;span
lang='fr'></bpt>je ne
sais quoi<ept id='1'>&lt;/span></ept>" that made her casserole absolutely
delicious.</source>

The problem is that from the XLIFF viewpoint we loose the information about
the language switch. This could be a problem for some function such as
spell-checking.

First question: Is is important enough for us to worry about it?

If yes, while using xml:lang is technically possible since the inline
elements have extension points for attributes, it would not work with <bpt>,
but would with <g>:

<source xml:lang='en'>She added that "<g id='1' xml:lang='fr'>je ne
sais quoi</g>" that made her casserole absolutely delicious.</source>

But with <bpt>, a xml:lang attribute would apply to the '<span>' code rather
than the text inside the <span>.

If a file uses the <bpt> notation, how could we represent the language
switch then?