Subject: RE: [xliff] Accepting Suggested Translations In XLIFF

Hi Matt,

Thanks for an interesting suggestion. I have also been looking for a similar mechanism in XLIFF recently. I have a couple of comments:

1) In addition to identifying which <alt-trans> was used I would like to have a mechanism for the user to indicate why changes were made, e.g.:

  • Because a fuzzy match needed to be modified to fit (normal behaviour for fuzzy matches)
  • Because the context requires a different translation (the new translation should be added to a TM, while still keeping the original proposed translation)
  • Because the proposed translation is incorrect (the original proposed translation should be updated in a TM)

As can be seen from above this information is important for translation memory assets and the like.

I hope we can combine this into your proposal.

2) Regarding your suggested option d), introducing a new “state” attribute:

  • I am of the opinion that we should not mix this functionality with the unrelated problem of revision tracking. They are two different issues and should thus be handled with different mechanisms.
  • As a side note: In fact the concept of revision tracking brings other problems related to this: for example, how can one indicate that a particular <alt-trans> was used in one version, while a different <alt-trans> was used in another version? But this is probably not so important, as in most cases only the last used <alt-trans> would really be of interest.
  • Also I think we should use “-“ rather than “_” as word separators in the attribute values, to be consistent with the rest of the XLIFF specification.

3) The XLIFF specification allows multiple <target> elements inside an <alt-trans>. Unless we change this (which I am definitely for!) we would need to use your suggested attribute on the <target> element rather than/in addition to on the <alt-trans>.

4) To cover what I raised in 1) above I would propose:

  • Use an attribute named “applied” (either in the XLIFF namespace or as a recommended extension).
  • The attribute should be for the <alt-trans> element.
  • Only one <target> element is allowed when this attribute is used.
  • The attribute can have the following values:
    • no – (default) this translation suggestion was not used.
    • exact – the translation was an exact match that was used without modifications
    • changed-fuzzy-adapted – the translation was used but had to be adapted as it was not an exact match
    • changed-inline-elements-adapted – the translation was used, the text was not changed, but the content and/or type of inline elements (i.e. embedded tags) was modified
    • changed-different-context – the match was used but the text (and possibly tag) content was changed to fit a different context
    • changed-incorrect-content – the match was used but changed due to mistakes in the previous translation

Applied to your example:

<trans-unit id='hi'>
    <source>Hello world</source>
    <target>Hola mundo</target>