Subject: Re: [xliff] the real final ... Final revised XLIFF TC charter

Apologies as I suspect my feedback is late, however some minor points below.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:28, Tony Jewtushenko wrote:

> how to mark up and capture localisable data and interoperate with
> different processes or phases without loss of information. The

how to mark up and capture localisable data *that will* interoperate with

> vocabularies are tool-neutral, support the localization-related aspects
> of internationalization and the entire localization process. The
> vocabularies support common software and content data formats. The
> specifications provide an extensibility mechanism to allow the
> development of tools compatible with an implementer's own proprietary

is *proprietary* a limiting adjective, an implementer may have own
requirements that are not proprietary?

> data formats and workflow requirements.
>
> The state of affairs in software and documentation localisation before

*The state of software and documentation ...*

> XLIFF was that a software or documentation provider delivered their
> localisable resources to a localisation service provider in a number of
> disparate file formats. Once software providers and technical
> communicators commenced implementing XLIFF, the task of interchanging
> localisation data became simpler.

suggestion *was simplified.*

> Using proprietary and nonstandard

*Using proprietary or non-standard resource file formats*

> resource formats force either the source provider or the localisation
> service provider to implement a costly and inefficient bespoke process

suggestion *inefficient pre-processing for localising their content*

> for localising their content. For publishers with many proprietary or
> nonstandard formats, this requirement becomes a major hurdle when

*non-standard*

> attempting to localise their software. For software developers and
> technical communicators employing enterprise localisation tools and
> processes, XLIFF defines a standard but extensible vocabulary that
> captures relevant metadata at any point of the lifecycle which can be

*metadata for any point*

> exchanged between a variety of commercial and open-source tools.
>
> The first phase, now completed, created a committee specification that
> concentrated on software UI file requirements. The next phase consists

*software UI resource file localisable data requirements*

> of promoting the adoption of XLIFF throughout the industry through
> additional collateral and specifications, continuing to advance the
> committee specification towards an official OASIS standard, contributing
> to the development of standard localisation directives tag library and
> consuming it when available, and defining and publishing an
> implementation guide for document based content that addresses
> segmentation and alignment requirements. To encourage adoption of XLIFF,
> the TC will define and publish implementation guides for the most
> commonly used resource formats (HTML, RTF, Window Resources, Java
> Resource Bundles, .NET), and will include reference implementations of

*Resource Bundles, gettext PO Files*