Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF: more feedback on draft for Java profile - a look at implemented filters/converters

Thanks for doing this,  Christian.  It's enlightening.  But note that the
Sun tool only writes out XLIFF 1.0... I seem to remember seeing they were
working on implementing XLIFF 1.1.

It's interesting to note that the two tools illustrate the different models
of extraction -> Enlaso, the "maximalist" approach where the entire file is
converted,  and Sun the "minimalist" approach with skeleton file.

It's interesting that Sun chose to use the "it" tag for replaceables.  Is
this to support a single inline tag that also must support tags spread
across multiple trans-units?  Anyone else care to make any observations?

Regards,
Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Lieske, Christian [mailto:christian.lieske@sap.com]
Sent: 28 September 2005 17:26
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] XLIFF: more feedback on draft for Java profile - a look at
implemented filters/converters

Dear all,

Since I was under the impression that our work may benefit from a look at
existing implementations for converters/filters between Java resources and
XLIFF, I had a look at two of them:

Sun's Open Language Tools (see https://open-language-tools.dev.java.net)

Enlaso's Rainbow (see http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/)

I took input files with the following features

1. no variables (file "messages.properties")
2. variables/compound messages (file "foo.properties")
3. XML-based format (file "fooXML.properties")

For your convenience I attach the results of the conversion in a zip-file.
It contains originals, Sun results and Enlaso results in separate
directories.

Best regards,
Christian