Subject: RE: [xliff] RE: How to translate text within G tags?

Title: Message
Rodolfo,

Thank you for showing this alternative idea.  I've never had a situation where I've needed to split sentences from the same element into separate trans-units.  It seems like needing to split trans-units this way would present some challenges.

As for your example, I have a concern.  I notice there are escaped tags included.  We specifically advised against this approach in section 2.4 of the HTML profile:

2.4. Including Escaped Markup

The XLIFF specification allows for marking "beginning tags" and "ending tags" (<bpt, <ept) in a way that the markup may be escaped and preserved.  This is generally seen as a way for non-XSLT based tools to abstract the markup.  However, XSLT does not parse escaped code efficiently.  Since there are efficient alternate ways to preserve the HTML code, it is not recommended to use the <bpt and <ept tags.

While the following HTML could be expressed using the <bpt and <ept tags, along with escaped HTML code:

  <i>picabo, big-air</i>,
 and <i> yard-sale</i>

like this:

  <bpt id='1-2'>&lt;i&gt;</bpt>picabo,
 big-air<ept id='1-2'>&lt;/i&gt;</ept>, and

It is recommended to use the cleaner, more XSLT-friendly approach, like this:

  <g id='n1' ctype='x-html-i'>picabo, big-air</g>,
 and <g id='n2' ctype='x-html-i'> yard-sale</g>

Thank you for your follow up,