Subject: ITS <-> XLIFF prototype

Title: XLIFF output

FYI – some of you may find this interesting, especially those who are interested in transformation between DITA and XLIFF. If you have any comments or suggestions about the XLIFF representation, please pass them directly onto Yves.

Also, note that Yves indicates that a new revision to the ITS spec daft will be posted shortly – and it may be one of the last final drafts so get your comments in as soon as possible.

Regards,

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:yves@opentag.com]
Sent: 05 April 2006 02:07
To: Tony Jewtushenko; Peter Reynolds; Bryan Schnabel
Subject: XLIFF output

Hi all,

Just a note to let you know that I finally got around setting up that small web site where you can tryout output from XML to XLIFF: <http://okapi.translate.com/Utilities/ITSTest.aspx>

It's based on ITS so not all features are implemented yet since it's a moving target right now. There is also a few bugs (one lethal that occures in some still mysterious cases some empty elements). But the built-in examples should help. It generates XLIFF 1.2 (as far as I can tell).

I'll try to improve it as ITS becomes more stable. Especially I nstill eed to implement the its:withinText feature to get some cases correctly broken-down into trans-units. [By the way we should have a new publication of the Draft in a few days. We are closing in to the Last Call Draft, so it'll be a good time to give us feedback if you have any].

The same code is also used in the Okapi XML Filter used with Rainbow. This will be obviously more useable for real projects. It has not been released yet as an official Release (that will come next round), but the source code is available: <http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/okapi/Okapi/Dev/NET/Source/Format/XML/> (Note: it takes a few days for that public CVS repository to be updated from the real one, so the files there are sometimes a bit outdated)