Subject: Groups - Monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference (Conference Call) modified

Monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference (Conference Call) has been modified by Mr. Peter Reynolds

Date:  Tuesday, 19 September 2006
Time:  11:00am - 12:00pm ET

Event Description:
Standing monthly XLIFF TC Teleconference.
1. Call one of the MeetingPlace phone numbers:
From the AMER region dial: * 1-888-967-2253 * +1-650-607-2253
From the APAC region dial: * +61 2 8817 6100
From the EMEA region dial: * +44 118 924 9000

2. Enter the Meeting ID (805534) followed by the # key

3. If the organizer has not started the meeting you will be:

a. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key
b. Placed in the waiting room on music hold until the organizer starts the meeting.

If the organizer has started the meeting you will be:

a. Asked to enter the Meeting Password (030543)
b. Asked to speak your name followed by the # key

Agenda:
Agenda:
1/roll call

2/Previous meeting minutes (to be specified shortly) Amend, Approve, Reject as official record

3/ Work in Progress:
A. XLIFF 1.2 Specification
Committee Spec Process:

The Official OASIS announcement of XLIFF 1.2 Public Review commenced on 14 July 2006. The review lasted 60 days and ended 12 September. In the meeting we will review the comments made and any alterations to the spec or supporting materials required in order to conduct a formal ballot for acceptance of work as Committee Specification.

To progress the work towards an OASIS standard, we need affidavits from OASIS corporate members within the next few weeks:
The OASIS TC standards process requires that we submit 3 affidavits from Organisational members (ie., not individual or associate members) in order to submit the spec to OASIS standard process. The following is an acceptable template for such affidavits:

"I certify that is successfully using the XLIFF 1.2 specification, as approved for submission to the OASIS membership, consistent with the requirements of the OASIS Technical Committee Process."

Remaining related work:
Update whitepaper to summarise 1.2 revisions.
Update FAQ to summarise 1.2 revisions.

B. Deferred Open issues:
a. Translation of Voice XML Issues
UPDATE (5 Mar 2006) from Mat: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00003.html
Archived Historical detail:
~ Open until resolution of namespace issue.
- Mat confirmed that this issue is currently on hold. He will raise again when it becomes an issue in the future.
Initial: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00016.html
Update: http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200403/msg00017.html

b. Extending XLIFF with separate namespaces.
Some thought has been put into this issue but not yet even in draft form.
ACTION ITEM: Mat & Andzrej were to work offline to advance this work, but Andzrej has at least temporarily taken leave from the TC.  We need to work out who will advance this work.

c. (Closed - placeholder for revision of FAQ/Whitepaper) Best practice: should extraction process create target elements?
Topic proposed by Doug. Discussed in mailing list:
Initial Proposal (Doug): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00023.html
Comment (Bryan): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00025.html
Comment (Tony): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00035.html
Comment (Rodolfo): http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200603/msg00032.html

The optional meeting took place Thursday 1 June. The meeting notes are detailed here: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200606/msg00006.html
As a very brief summary, it was agreed that any XLIFF compliant tool should be capable of dealing with empty target elements, since it valid XLIFF. We did not feel it necessary to make any changes to the spec, but felt that an entry in the FAQ and/or whitepaper covering the topic would be helpful. We'll keep this item as a working agenda item until it's time to revise the FAQ / Whitepaper with this information.

d. (OPEN) XLIFF - DITA Best Practices:
Purpose of this discussion is to brainstorm what the TC can and should do to provide guidance to those who want to localise / translate DITA content, with potential recommended best practice centered around XLIFF as intermediate container.

Meeting was held on Thursday, 15 June -> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200606/msg00014.html

RECOMMENDATION TO XLIFF TC:

The best practice of interchanging data between DITA and XLIFF is the same issue as how to interchange data XML and XLIFF in general... e.g., how to use XLIFF with ITS, XML:tm, etc. We suggest that the TC author profile documents similar to the other profiles we've developed, ie, HTML profile... in them we recommend which elements to use or avoid, skeleton file approach, transformation approach, other common problems and recommended solutions. Should address XLIFF ITS, XLIFF XML:TM, XLIFF DITA, maybe XLIFF Docbook.

We need to work out what if anything is required to advance this work.

4/XLIFF 1.2 Certification activities:
Feedback and report from Reinhard if he is in attendance.

5/XLIFF Face to Face?
There's an OASIS Open Standards Day happening in Germany at the tekom conference (Europe's largest multi-lingual software trade show). The TC hasn't had a TC F2F in years, and it would be good timing to schedule a TC Face to Face to brainstorm what our next objectives and steps should be.