Subject: RE: Re: [xliff] Wiki Document related to "Generic Inline Markup"

Hi Rodolfo,

I hope you don't mind, but I thought this should be cc'd to the list, so we might be most productive in the meeting.

I have replies for a few of the items in your note to Asgeir.  And I also wonder if we will need a way of tracking comments in the wiki, regarding each of the items under the "Generic Inline Markup" wiki page, as I can see this getting difficult to follow.

Here are the two items that jumped out at me.

You said:
> Section 3.5: in TMX the idea of an inline tag
> is to have a container for markup. This section
> is against the requirements of TMX.

{Schnabel - This comment is problematic for me. I hope it's just a matter of me not understanding what you mean.  It kind of sounds like you're saying the *only* way TMX wants to use inline elements is as a container for markup.  And that inline elements will always be de-element-ized in TMX.  In the following example, <b> is an element:

Now it is not:

Now it is:

Are you saying that the philosophy of TMX is that (A) is good, and (B) is against the requirements?

If that is the case, in my mind it will be nearly impossible to find common ground with XLIFF
}

And you said:
> Section 3.11: contradicts section 3.5

{Schnabel - I think this does not contradict 3.5.  I think it just says that both methods should be allowed (storing inline elements as proper XML nodes, or if necessary escaping and storing inline markup (in my mind, like processing malformed XML, or something like RTF)).