Subject: Re: [xliff] RE: Problems with official XLIFF samples andTransitional schema

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:58:55 -0700
<bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com> wrote:

Hi Bryan,

> 1. Fixed sample files: I looked at the new sample files and I agree
> that they should be posted in place of the samples that do not
> accurately fit the commentary in the spec.
>
> 2. Problems in the schemas
>  a. The trans-unit accidentally includes the merged-trans attribute,
> should we fix the schemas? In my opinion, this is not a showstopper
> and can be fixed in the XLIFF 2.0 schemas.

I think that the examples and corrected schemas can be published with
XLIFF 1.2.1.

We need a new conformance clause, as simple as possible, to release the
updated version.

We could also use this opportunity to fix the problem with target
language declaration not mandatory in files that contain translated
segments.

> b. Transitional schema
> allows lax processing of namespace attributes (<xsd:anyAttribute
> namespace="##any" processContents="lax"/>), which allows seemingly
> invalid attribute in extensible points (i.e., attributes with non
> XLIFF names, and no namespace): In my opinion this might be okay.

It could be OK to keep current behaviour in XLIFF 1.2

Validation can happen in dedicated tools, not necessarily in the
schemas.

> c. Schemas do not enforce bx and ex, or
> bpt and ept id pairing: I think this would be difficult to enforce
> with a schema (trying in my head to imagine how to express that).

It would be almost impossible to incorporate that validation in a
schema.

My concern regarding pairing was limited to the official examples. Any
example we publish must have correct pairing.

Again, validation should not be delegated to schemas, as there are many
details that cannot be enforced.

Perhaps we can update the XLIFF FAQ topic on validation and mention
XLIFFChecker there.

The FAQ entry is:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/faq.php#Validation

Rodolfo M. Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>