Subject: FW: Coordination between OSCAR and XLIFF

Hello TC members,

The folks at OSCAR have approached me about a renewed effort to coordinate text elements between OSCAR and XLIFF. I've always thought there was merit in trying this. But I want the TC to consider take time to think about it. I've invited Arle and Rodolfo to share their ideas at the next XLIFF meeting (this Tuesday at 11:00 am, Eastern US time). We'll need to hear the proposal, then think about how this idea fits with our current efforts.

From: Rodolfo M. Raya [rmraya@maxprograms.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:00 AM
To: 'Arle Lommel - LISA standards and publications'; Schnabel, Bryan S
Cc: 'Andrzej Zydron'
Subject: RE: Coordination between OSCAR and XLIFF

Hi All,

My understanding about Arle's request for joint collaboration is this:

- Create a subcommittee in XLIFF TC to work on a representation for inline markup that could be used in XLIFF and TMX standards. This subcommittee could have members representing OASIS and LISA points of view (LISA is a member of OASIS).

- The new subcommittee will have to define semantics and implementation rules that could fit the needs of XLIFF and TMX, preserving compatibility as much as possible.

Arle´s current thinking seems to be aligned with inline markup defined in terms of XLIFF´s <g> and <x/>.

Currently, both TMX and XLIFF suffer from an excess in the number of options for handling inline markup. I divide the options in three categories:

2) Elements that represent the location of markup in the segment, with real content stored somewhere else, are available only in XLIFF(<g> and <x/>)

3) Elements that delimit parts of the translatable text, indicating that a special property is applicable to the selected text are present in XLIFF and TMX (<mrk> and <hi>)

The number of elements could be reduced and a common naming scheme could be used in both standards. The goal of the proposed subcommittee would be to produce the required specification pieces to include in TMX and XLIFF standards.

There are many issues to consider for perfect compatibility. For example, XLIFF needs the content of untranslatable markup stored somewhere in the file or skeleton, but the actual markup would be optional in TMX, where placeholders are enough.

An issue that the XLIFF TC needs to consider separately is the definition of a segment. Sometime ago, the content of <source> was considered the segment requiring translation, but that was changed in XLIFF 1.2. Once we have a clear definition of segment in each standard, we can safely work on its content.

My $0.02

Rodolfo M. Raya   <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Maxprograms      http://www.maxprograms.com