Subject: Re: [xliff] Where we stand on conformance, and how to best resolve(RE: XLIFF TC Meeting 16 Nov 2010)

Hi all,

Perhaps a way of clarifying or bringing closer some of these approaches is to think of conformance in terms of 'conformance targets'.

From http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html#_Toc170119661 :

Conformance Target – an artifact such as a protocol, document, platform, process or service, which is the subject of Conformance Clauses and Normative Statements. There may be several Conformance Targets defined within a specification, and these targets may be diverse so as to reflect different aspects of a specification. For example, a protocol message and a protocol engine may be different targets.

Say we define two targets, 'Document Conformance' and the more fuzzy 'Application Conformance'. Document conformance is very much in line with approach (1) below, and I do believe most of us agree on the scope for document conformance (i.e. valid according to schema).

About Application conformance, imagine a specification where we in the body of the specification describe using conformance keywords (e.g. SHOULD, MAY, MUST) the processing expectations, for instance:
"Applications that manipulate the <target> content of XLIFF documents MUST preserve the old version of the content in an <alt-trans> element with the type attribute set to 'previous-version'"

We could then in the Conformance section include a section on Application conformance that lists the following conformance clause:
Application conformance:
"An implementation conforms to this specification if it satisfies all of the MUST or REQUIRED level requirements defined within this specification."

cheers,
asgeir