Subject: RE: [xliff] Groups - XLIFF Teleconference added

XLIFF TC Teleconference - Tuesday, 05 April 2011 - Summary

=== 1/ Roll call

Present: Yves, Peter, David-W (Dave), Bryan, Lucía, Helena,
Regrets: David-F
Absents: Christian, Rodolfo, Andrew

=== 2/ Approve Tuesday, 15 March 2011 meeting minutes:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201103/msg00005.html

No quorum yet - postponed.

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking)

=== 3.1. Review items approved in section 1
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking
we now have 4 approved new features and 16 proposed features to be evaluated

Bryan: let's work on "bare bone core" item
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking#XLIFF2.0.2BAC8-Feature.2BAC8-BareBonesCore.Bare-bonesXLIFFCorewithExtensions

Maybe we can look at this and the matrix from Micah.
Do we have a good feel for this core?

Yves: think segmentation should be in the core.
Bryan: think so too.
Dave-W: what is the purpose of the core? How it's going to be used?
Bryan: comes from the feedback we got. 1.2 is too much and therefore has many issues.
Many tools don't support all of XLIFF 1.2.
Idea is to have a core, a minimal simple set of elements/attributes, that are fundamental, clear and unambiguous.
Other features would be additional optional modules. This allows tools to support only what they need.

Helena: SRX+TR29 should be something defined somewhere else.
Y: Yes.
We are talking about the result of the segmentation not the rules to do the segmentation.

Helena: what pre-translation means here?
Yves: Set of possible translations of the source (not work on the source to make it more translatable)

Bryan: Rodolfo has proposed a starting point.
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201008/msg00012.html
notion of should we have or not a core has been voted on already (we will have a core).
Now we need to decide what goes in it.
May need a set of terms to explains all those things.
Idea is to simplify, clarify and extend.
Is extension/modules/core/etc. are good term we need to use.

Helena: is the core the minimal for interoperability?
Bryan: yes
We have a requirement to have conformance clauses along with the specification.

Helena: about the extension: do we have a place to describe those.
Yves: to some degree. We have been trying to gather those extensions.

Bryan: terms like extension needs to be used carefully.
Extensions are not in XLIFF namespace.
Whereas the concept of skeleton may be a module (an optional part) of the XLIFF namespace.

=== 3.2. Begin work evaluating proposed features

Not discussed today.

=== 3.3. Conformance criteria

Not discussed today.

=== 4/ Current XLIFF business

=== 4.1. Peter's request that our TC, along with former OSCAR members discuss OASIS/XIFF taking over TMX/SRX
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201103/msg00015.html

Peter: Need joined meeting with ex-OSCAR group and look at how OASIS can help.
OASIS seems suitable.
TMX, TBX, SRX have supports, other may need more support to be continued.
Meeting would help to sort out situation.
Also important to get ex-OSCAR people involved in OASIS
TBX is also ISO so easier to continued.

Bryan: sounds sensible.
e.g. heard suggestion that TMX could fit under XLIFF (or be replaced by).
From OASIS viewpoint it should be different than an official OASIS TC call.
Need to get names of people needing to be contacted.

Helena: Seems Arle to setup the meeting would make sense.
ETSI, TAUS, GALA have stepped forward. ETSI setting up SIG.
Unicode may be a proper place for some part of the standards too.
Meeting would gage the interest level and the plans.

Peter: would prefer talk to people who would actually work on the TCs.
Seen GALA getting involved.
More practical meeting may be better?
Arle is involved with GALA, he could keep channel open.
Otherwise, there is maybe too many agendas, politics.
Helena: then who do you not invite?
Peter: TAUS and GALA since they are not involved yet.
Just a more practical meeting.

Helena: Arle is central so he should be involved.
Peter: yes.

Bryan: kind of agree with Peter.
Practical meeting may be more efficient to start.
Would be good to involve Arle obviously.
Wish we can hear from David-F and Rodolfo. They were discussing legal aspects.