Subject: RE: [xliff] Element simpleNote

Hi there,

I wonder if we could not use its:locNote (see http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#locNote-datacat). It would allow us to:

1. attach notes to anything
2. refrain from an XLIFF-specific solution

Cheers,
Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@translate.com]
Sent: Montag, 18. Juli 2011 20:55
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xliff] Element simpleNote

Hi all,

I was looking at the current schema for the <simpleNote> element.

Currently we can have notes in the <unit> and in the <segment> elements.
And each <simpleNote> element can have an attribute appliesTo with the values being either: 'segment', 'source', 'target', or 'unit' (default is 'segment')

It seems to me that we should have only three values: 'source', 'target' and something that indicates the notes applies to all children of the element where it is declared. (something like 'general' or 'undefined'), because otherwise we could have 'segment' set for a unit note or 'unit' set for a segment note (except if we define two different types of notes: one for the segment and one for the units, which is probably not a good idea.).