Subject: RE: [xliff] Validation and XLIFF Schema

Hi Yves,
It is not possible to rely only on a schema for validation. Most processing expectations cannot be expressed using a schema language.

A tool like XLIFFChecker will be required for validating XLIFF 2.0. I plan to update it once we have a schema in good shape.

I offered to donate XLIFFChecker's IP to the XLIFF TC some time ago so we can include it as part of the deliverables for XLIFF 2.0.  I still have to check with OASIS officials what needs to be done.

Rodolfo M. Raya
Maxprograms http://www.maxprograms.com

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [xliff] Validation and XLIFF Schema
From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Tue, November 08, 2011 3:24 pm
To: <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

In our inline markup sub-committee meeting today, we touched on several cases where validating some elements may be complicated and possibly not supported by XML Schema 1.0.

This is likely something that will affect the rest of the XLIFF elements.
So I got the action item to bring this topic to the TC:

What is the fallback solution if we cannot validate some complex/conditional constructs with XML Schema 1.0?

Custom tool, XML Schema 1.1, RelaxNG and Schematron were mentioned. The SC has no specific recommendation on this, but we are just wondering what are the possible solutions.