Subject: Re: Hint representation

Following up on Yves's message and the discussion on the last call about
"hints" for inline codes (canBeDeleted, canBeReplicated, etc).

First, I said on the call that I would prefer a separate attribute for each
boolean hint.  I would probably do this if I were designing just for myself,
since I don't mind verbosity, but this isn't a strong opinion.  I care less
about literal representation than structure, and the structure is the same
either way.

I would note that the flag idea sounds like it would be hard to validate
with XML Schema.  You would want to say that the value must contain at most
one of each from a set of characters.  Can you do this?

Second, everyone seemed to agree on the call that the set of hints would
probably not need to be extended.  I've been pondering this, and I don't
believe it's true.  The discussion about overlapping markup made me realize
there are other ways you might want to manipulate codes that may or may not
be allowed.  For example, is it allowed to make previously non-overlapping
codes overlap?

I think it's worth considering lots of examples and working out exactly what
the hints mean before thinking about representation.  That might help us
decide if we have an exhaustive set, or if we need to consider future
extension.

Finally, I think calling them "hints" is misleading.  If respecting the
"hints" will be part of the processing requirements, they're not just hints,
are they?

Andrew