Subject: Re: [xliff] Attributes for translation candidates

Hi Yves,

I have a couple of questions and comments on the proposal.

1) Data type of score(similarity) and quality:
 * Is there any reason why the score should be an integer? In our case, it has been always a real number ranging from 0 to 100.00. You may ask us back the benefit of having them in real number though. Our scoring logic is very sophisticated. We want to sort suggestions correctly (99.9 is definitely preferred to 99). Real numbers may be better for interoperability as it is a superset of integer.

2) Score and quality?
  * I understand the points of having two attributes. However, our scoring logic all consider many factors including similarity, quality, content domains and types etc. The score for our case is a combination score, so we can list the suggestions clearly in the order of our preference.

  * Therefore, "similarity" is not proper for our case. I suggest to have "match-score" as a main attribute, allowing two more attributes (similarity, quality) if each tool wants to have. All these may increase confusion rather than help. 2 attributes are perfect, and 3 attributes are too many? Then my suggestion is to have the first attribute "score".

3) content-type, content-domain, match-type

  * Due to cross-file/type leverage, we need to deliver content-type (xml, html, properties, etc) and content domain. Do you think "origin" can be used for that purpose?
  * "type" requires a clearly defined list of values. For MT suggestions, translators should post-edit instead of translate. CATs may have specific features for MT suggestions. Therefore, XLIFF docs should use the same value in type attribute for MT suggestions.

Regards
Jung