Subject: Source read-only or not?

Hi all,

While going through last meeting's minutes I noticed this request from Rodolfo:

> === 6/ New Business
> Rodolfo: Request to know if source text should
> be read-only or not.

I would tend to say that the source text should be modifiable by any XLIFF user agents.

In addition to apply some annotations (which would probably not be considered a modification of the content), some steps of the process may want to affect the source text itself before it goes to translation. For example running a spell/grammar checker to help the MT pre-translation later, or doing some form of editing based on a source TM, etc.

The bottom line is that we probably don't want to restrict what tools could do without very good reasons.