Subject: RE: [xliff] translate and xml:space

Hi,

> While working on the library for the toolkit I've run into a few questions.
> I'm posting on the main TC list because it's affecting more than the inline
> content.
>
> --- translate
>
> Currently we have a translate attribute in <unit>. We also have an <mrk
> translate='yes/no'> possible in the inline content.
>
> We need to specify the behavior for the case like:
>
> <unit id='1' translate='no'>
>  <segment>
>  </segment>
> </unit>
>
> Logically I assume the user agent needs to translate 'textB'.
> Is that the behavior we all agree on?

That translatable portion should be treated as a subflow and placed in its own segment. Don't add  a "translate" attribute to <mrk>

> Note that in 1.2 the translate='no' attribute in trans-unit has been used to
> "lock" the <trans-unit>. Since there was no relationship described between
> translate='yes/no' and protected='yes/no' that was not incorrect.
> So my other question is: Do we need another attribute in 2.0's <unit> that
> would "lock" the unit in read-only mode regardless of its translate status?

There is no need to add a "lock" attribute. With "translate" we have enough.

> --- xml:space
>
> Currently we have xml:space on <source>/<target>. There are cases like this:

> That are not currently catered for. I assume we would need to allow
> xml:space in ,mrk> as well then.
> Is that something we should do?

Again, treat that portion that requires special space handling as a subflow.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com