Subject: RE: [xliff] Source read only or modifiable?

Hi,

> >> Exactly. So we agree that adding/removing annotations does not modify
> >> the content.
> >
> > No, we don't agree. Adding an annotation means altering the original.
> > The key is the verb: "add".
>
> When we re-segment we also "add" <segment>/<source> tags, and that (as
> we agreed) does not "modify" the original extracted content.
>
> So how can adding <mrk> is any different? If we strip out the
> we had before adding them. The annotations are just a layer on top of the
> original extracted content, just like <segment>/<source>. Please, point me
> the difference.

> In any case, it seems that we do agree on one thing: Ignoring the <mrk> is
> fine for the merger tool. So what is the problem with having them at that
> stage?

Not a big  problem if they don't need to be preserved. Having to remove them is annoying as it means extra work for processing.

To make things worse, the description of <mrk> in the specification draft says it could have multiple nesting levels. That means extra levels of processing to get rid of undesired markup.

> > The Inline SC should propose whether to have inline elements as part
> > of the core or in a separate schema, we know that. Nevertheless, if
> > inline elements live in their own schema, annotations should live in a
> > different one.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. If the elements for inline codes have their own
> namespace, they don't have to follow the core prescriptions. We'll see what
> the SC come up with. It may think having all the inline markup in a single
> namespace is simpler. I have no opinion on that yet.

An important thing to keep in mind: elements from a module are optional and disposable.

What would a tool that only supports "core" do with inline elements if they are in a module? Being them optional and disposable, the tool would have the right to remove all inline markup, probably making the XLIFF file unusable. That's too risky and justifies having inline elements in core.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com