Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 spec - dF Issue #01 - Extensibility and processing requirements

Hi,

I tend to agree with Yves, it should be possible to discard non-core data.

Let me give you an example: an XLIFF file with 10,000 segments is not unusual these days; after being fully translated and populated with TM and MT matches the file may become 10 times larger than it was originally. Removing all matches before merging can reduce the size of the file to one third and improve merging speed considerably. TM and MT data is not required for merging and is useless after all translations are marked as final.  I recently saw a good case: original XLIFF (source only) had 1.5MB; full file (translations + TM data) was 27MB; trimmed file (source and target only) 2.5MB. Merging 2.5MB was much faster than merging 27MB.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com