Subject: Proposed solution for csprd02 (RE: csprd02 comment - xml:lang and xml:space)

Yves,

I looked in the archive for a continuation of this thread, which I was certain we’d begun. But I could not find anything. Hmmm. Now I’m having imaginary conversations about xml:space? Yikes!

I agree with your first point.  I think we should add a note in the xml:space section that say because the xml:space attribute is inherited by its descendants, <source> and <target> without xml:space attributes would still have their xml:space value set by an ancestor with xml:space.

When you say “I'm wondering if it's not worth having some note about this in the xml:space section,” are you referring to 4.3.2.2 xml:space?

If so, I propose we change it to:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Value description: default or preserve. The value default signals that an application's default white-space processing modes are acceptable for this element; the value preserve indicates the intent that applications preserve all the white space. This declared intent is considered to apply to all elements within the content of the element where it is specified, unless overridden with another instance of the xml:space attribute. For more information see the section on xml:space in the [XML] specification.

Default value: default

[add the following note]

Note

As for your second point:

“The specification also says for xml:space: ‘Default value: default ‘

Which is, from an XML viewpoint, incorrect. If it's not specified the value should be the same as the value for the parent element.”

I think you mean that elements who do not set their own xml:space, who descend from  elements which do have xml:space set to something, have the same value as that ancestor.

But I think if xml:space was not set on any ancestor, the Default value is still “default” for these <source> and <target> elements.

Therefore, I think the proposed solution above satisfies this point as well.