xmlvoc-comment message

Subject: Re: [xmlvoc-comment] Cover: SGML Declaration, ASCII listing

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>* Patrick Durusau

<snip>

>What do you mean by "construct an ontology from a standard"?

Stand corrected. I think the question I was thinking was a conflation of
ontology and useful presentation, which are admittedly separate issues.
A topic map could be constructed to represent all the detail of Harvey
Bingham's SGML productions, but there are ways of presenting that
information that would not be very helpful even with a topic map. Sorry
for the mis-use of the word ontology for that aspect of the problem.

So we develop an ontology for a complex standard (like ISO 8879), that
is just the first step towards being able to answer the non-ontological
question of useful presentation. Correct? Should our work be an example
of taming that sort of complexity for useful presentation?

The more I write on this post I realize that what I am asking is a user
interface engineering question, one that I personally not qualified to
answer. Don't know about the experience of the other members of our
group in that regard but it is probably beyond the scope of our effort.
Developing the ontology will be difficult enough and perhaps the vendors
of topic map engines will use their presentations of that ontology to
illustrate their skills at constructing userful interfaces to complex data.

Sorry for using the bandwidth on what turned out to be a rabbit chase
but thought I should take the opportunity to correct my error.

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development