xmlvoc message

Subject: character encoding

Greetings!

A new week and a new term from the XMLvoc PSI list!

character encoding

Currently:

1. A character encoding form plus byte serialization. There are seven
character encoding schemes in Unicode: UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-16BE,
UTF-16LE, UTF-32, UTF-32BE and UTF-32LE. (from the Unicode Consortium
definition of character encoding scheme, noting that character encoding
form is defined as: Mapping from a character set definition to the
actual code units used to represent the data.)

FOLDOC reports (in part)

2. <character
<http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/contents/character.html>> (Or
"character encoding scheme") A mapping of binary
<http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?binary> values to code
positions <http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?code+positions>
and back; generally a 1:1 (bijective
<http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?bijective>) mapping.

Wilde's reports (for character encoding scheme):

3. A CES defines a mapping from a given set of characters (the CCS
<http://wildesweb.com/glossary/ccs>) to encoded forms of the characters.
Thus, there can be multiple CESs for one CCS
<http://wildesweb.com/glossary/ccs>.

(CCS = Coded Character Set: A CCS identifies a set of characters that
are relevant and should be identifiable for some Character Set
<http://wildesweb.com/glossary/characterset>. It does not, however,
specify the actual encoding of these characters, which is done by one or
more CES <http://wildesweb.com/glossary/ces>s.)

TechEncyclopedia: no results

Personally I like #1 since we are using Unicode and it seems
presumptuous at best to re-define terms that have been defined by
another standards body. Perhaps we should change the name of the entry
to be character encoding scheme, so that it matches the Unicode glossary
and simply use their definition.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--