xmlvoc message

Subject: standards-body

Greetings!

The term for today: standards-body:

FOLDOC does not have standards-body but does list a defintion for standard:

  standard

<standard <http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/contents/standard.html>>
Standards are necessary for interworking
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?interworking>, portability
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?portability>, and
reusability <http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?reusability>.
They may be de facto standards
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?de+facto+standards> for
various communities, or officially recognised national or international
standards.

Andrew Tanenbaum
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Andrew+Tanenbaum>, in his
Computer Networks book, once said, "The nice thing about standards is
that there are so many of them to choose from", a reference to the fact
that competing standards become a source of confusion, division,
obsolescence, and duplication of effort instead of an enhancement to the
usefulness of products.

Some bodies concerned in one way or another with computing standards are
IAB <http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?IAB> (RFC
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?RFC> and STD
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?STD>), ISO
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?ISO>, ANSI
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?ANSI>, DoD
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?DoD>, ECMA
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?ECMA>, IEEE
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?IEEE>, IETF
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?IETF>, OSF
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?OSF>, W3C
<http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?W3C>.

Wildes (and I checked under standards, etc. this time) has the ISO as a
topic that is derived from "international organization" which is itself
derived from "organization"

Techencyclopedia has standards bodies and then a list of standards
bodies, but no definition

It does have standard: A specification for hardware or software that is
either widely used and accepted (de facto) or is sanctioned by a
standards organization (de jure).

The BSI site (http://www.bsi-global.com) offers the following definition
of a standard:

****

A standard is defined as a document, established by consensus and
approved by a recognized body, that provides, for common and repeated
use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for activities or their results.

*****

Hmmm, like the hierarchy of Wildes' but doesn't give us a defining
characteristic for a "standards body."

Suggestion: standards body: An organization that approves documents that
containing rules for some activity.

Note that I am trying to avoid describing how that approval occurs, it
could be consensus, some form of dictatorship, or golden rule (those
with the gold make the rules) type organization. We may all have our
preferences but none of those characteristics seem sufficient to
include/exclude an organization from being a standards body. The
approval of documents with rules for some activity does.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau