xri-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: distobj@acm.org

Name: Mark Baker
Title: President
Regarding Specification: XRI 2.0

Hi,

I believe that existing protocols suffice for the bulk of what XRIs aim to accomplish, specifically the http URI scheme (and secondarily, the HTTP protocol).  An enormous investment has been made in these protocols, over many years, by effectively the bulk of planet Earth.  Minting a new URI scheme eradicates that value in its entirety, especially when it doesn't attempt to identify an existing information space (as ftp: did for FTP servers, or mailto: did for email inboxes).

I would therefore suggest that the TC go back to look at how it might achieve its objectives by reusing what already exists.

Thanks.

Mark.