xri-comment message

Subject: RE: [OpenID] [xri-comment] My Feedback for XRD Vrsion 1.0

This is all pretty accurate except for the characterization of "two camps".

<Nothing New From Here On>

Both designs, XRD and host-meta, come from a largely overlapping group of people. Host-meta was originally proposed as a text-based document. At some point it became clear that there was value in reusing the XRD schema and so we started looking at how it would be applied to this particular edge case. We were able to solve the questions of link subjects for URI and URITemplate, but then got to the issue of Subject.

For the past year (I am not exaggerating), this topic was continuously discussed on the XRI list and weekly calls. I have raised the question to the IETF Apps area with little success, the W3C Tag with similar results, and other communities such as WebFinger (which is heavily depended on host-meta). We came to the following conclusions:

1. There is no existing URI scheme suitable to describe a 'host' (dns, tag, etc.).
2. A significant number of people rejected the Semantic Web ideas of well-known HTTP URI prefix or using a #fragment to denote a special meaning.
3. A significant number of people rejected the idea of using a URN for both style reasons and because URNs should not include an authority.

The conclusion was that there was no URI available *winning rough consensus*.

Back to XRD, we looked at how we could express a non-URI subject. Note that at the time, host-meta was defined as single scheme/authority scope. This has changed since to encompass an entire host (as in the entity controlling the host namespace per 3986). We tried:

<Subject match="prefix">http://example.com</Subject>

<SubjectSet>
        <Authority>example.com:80</Authority>
        <Scheme>http https</Scheme>
</SubjectSet>

<Subject type="host>example.com</Subject>

<hm:Subject>example.com</hm:Subject>

<Subject hm:type="host-meta">example.com</Subject>

We looked at POWDER which has a 30+ page specification of how to address similar use cases (http://www.w3.org/TR/powder-grouping/). We considered URI templates in subjects. I even proposed using an invalid URI scheme since a strict reading of the anyURI schema rule doesn't require a *registered* scheme, only proper format:

<Subject>host:example.com</Subject>

The 'match' attribute got the most traction of the bunch, but then started to "leak" into other area of the schema. We came to the conclusion that Alias will also have to support the same mechanism because it should be able to express the same set of identifiers expressed by Subject. Then when it came to trust profiles, we used to have a Subject element as a child of Link (to express the expected subject of the linked XRD, a concept that was since removed from the spec due to lack of use cases). That meant it too would have to be changed.

We found ourselves changing a lot more than just making Subject a bit more inclusive, and all that for a single use case which had a simpler (and in my view cleaner) solution: extend the schema to define a new host-meta subject.

This decision was further justified when host-meta was changed to accommodate a list of hosts. To make Subject work for that, we need an even more expanded format (space delimited values, child elements, or changes to the element cardinality).

XRD and its predecessors, XRDS and XRDS-Simple were always about a "resource identified by a URI". This definition has not changed in 5 years. While the simplicity of the new XRD format, and its alignment with web linking makes it more appealing and generally useful, it is important to remember what it is designed for.

We have gone through a thorough discussion and came to the conclusion that we simply don't have consensus to change the current (and historical via <CanonicalID>) definition of the <Subject> element. No one is fully satisfied with this status quo, but nevertheless, it *is* something we all agree on and find useful for every single use case but one (host-meta).

At this point, the only reason to open this discussion are new ideas, not new opinions. I certainly appreciate the view some take that this is more than a bikeshedding discussion about the *syntax*. However, this debate has to end for us to move forward and I have heard nothing new to suggest we are more likely to resolve it now than we were the past year.

All I have left to offer is for us to move forward with the solution as currently presented. As we gain more implementation experience across a wider set of protocols and communities, we can come back and revisit.

EHL

Side note: To be honest, the only reason why I was willing to spend more time on this (again) is my respect to John Kemp who has articulated some good ideas about the topic. They were not new to the XRI TC but new in the wider context and deserved to be addressed. Wearing my XRD editor and architect hat, I consider this matter closed.