Subject: FW: Unified syntax proposal

[First, about moving this to the list, my proposal is to summarize all
of this in a posting as soon as the editors list is formed. =D]

Ah, fascinating conclusion Gabe: that "/" denotes the "start of a
resource", whereas dot-or-colon denotes a delegated identifier.

I arrived at a similar conclusion coming at it from exactly the opposite
direction: that "/" denotes the "end of a community". So
xri://a.b.c/:d:e:f  represents two communities: the community //a.b.c
and, under that, the community :d:e:f.

It's particularly accurate in the way it reflects the delegation
relationships and the act of federation. xri://a.b.c/:d:e:f/g  tells us
that //a.b.c and /:d:e:f are two separate communities that are not
federated. If the two federated by c DELEGATING to d (rather than c
CONTAINING d as / indicates), then the result would be
xri://a.b.c:d:e:f/g . Voila, the two communities are federated into one!

The difference between *delegation* and *ownership* was what I was
trying to get at in my earlier "aggregation" vs. "composition"
explanation. From a UML perspective, delegation expresses an aggregation
relationship (authority A is aggregating the identifiers of authority
B), whereas ownership expresses a composition relationship (the
identifiers in namespace B are assigned by authority A).

Does that make more sense?

Overall, I like both angles - slash means the start of a resource (every
community being a resource, of course) and the boundaries of an
identitier community.

And on that note, I think it's time to start my weekend (and prepare to
move this thread to the new editor's list on Monday).

=Drummond