Subject: RE: [xri-editors] RE: Closure on I18N approach (was RE: [xri-edit ors] Status on draft spec)

I think the underlying issue we've all had with specifying XRI syntax in terms of unicode characters (rather than US-ASCII characters) is that there is a lot of infrastructure already deployed (based on a number of specificaitons like RFC 2396 and the HTTP specification for example) that deal only with 8-bit US-ASCII characters.

The point of IRI was to be able to define syntaxes for identifiers using unicode characters and then have those unicode strings automatically be converted (through IRI-defined transformations) into the URI-legal (a subset of US-ASCII) characters that comprise URIs.

When talking about resolution, I *really* need to be able to assume that all characters being resolved are URI-legal (or escapable into URI-legal characters) because underlying network protocols assume US-ascii character sets. And even when talking about *presenting* (as opposed to resolving) XRIs) US-ASCII or URI-legal is the only set of characters that are legal in many environments.

The Question:

Are you merely suggesting that we define XRIs across the scope of unicode characters, and then define a transform to URI-legal characters for the purpose of use of the XRI in places where URIs are expected? That sounds like it may be a reasonable approach - it may not even affect resolution (if we simply require that the transformation to URI-legal characters occurs before resolution).

Thanks for your patience in explaining this to us..

	-Gabe