Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Clarification

Nat,

Funny you should ask. We discussed this at length on the last editor's
call and decided to remove all examples of this type of "dots used as
relative cross-references" because it was too confusing for the main
spec. We know we have to deal with this issue in the Primer.

The short answer to your question is that you are correct that

            xri:=JohnDoe/(+phone.number)/(+work)

(note the first set of parens added) could also have been expressed as

                xri:=JohnDoe/(+phoneNumber)/(+work)

because the dot in this context is only a "separator" as you call it. In
fact, the first example should probably be expressed as

                xri:=JohnDoe/(+(phone.number))/(+work)

In this way it's totally syntactically clear that the purpose of the dot
is simply to link the identifiers "phone" and "number". And of course
there are many other ways of expressing that, including camel case
phoneNumber.

See my next message regarding the RC1b draft.

=Drummond