Subject: RE: [xri-editors] Reviewing RC1b

Comments on RC1b

There's a problem with the index - for some reason Word thinks there's a
section 3.1.1.1

The note in the definition of XRI reference about fragment identifiers seems
like a non sequitur.

Section 2.1.1 has a broken reference on line 629.

The example added to section 2.2.1 is good, but I think we should strike
"Further examples are provided" sentence because it refers to a particular
version of a draft, which we've tried to avoid at least with respect to IRI.
The only other place we refer to a specific section is in 2.2.5, and I think
we should probably drop the section reference there as well.

The last sentence of 2.2.4.1 implies that there's a potential security
problem with $!. It doesn't elaborate but instead refers to section 4.
Section 4 doesn't contain any info about this issue that I could see.

I'm not sure the new sentence in step 1 of 2.2.4.3 that says "This places
the XRI into escaped normal form" is completely accurate. Escaped normal
form, in my mind at least, has more to do with proper escaping than it does
with UTF-8 encoding. I think it might be more correct to say something like
"Escape characters as necessary to place the XRI in escaped normal form as
defined in section 2.2.4." Or just assume it's in escaped normal form to
start with and leave that sentence out altogether.

In 2.2.4.4, the reference to section 2.2.4.3 didn't print correctly for me
(appeared as a little box). It looks ok inside Word, but may be worth double
checking.

Section 2.4.1 says it's going to describe canonicalization and define the
rules for putting an XRI into canonical form, but instead it describes
equivalence rules. Rules for creating a canonical form should be things like
"drop the leading dot" and "remove cross-references that begin with a !".

Appendix B asks if $! is sufficiently specified by 2.2.4.2. I don't think it
is. In fact, this section seems a little terse overall. I'd hate to have to
implement to Appendix B if all I had to work from was the spec itself.

Dave