Subject: Action item on $ text

I had an action item to propose new text defining the $ GCS character (and
the handling of the $ space).

The following text is in the revised draft I just sent to Dave:

Symbol Character: $

Authority Type: Standards body

Establishes Global Context For: Identifiers established by other XRI TC
specifications (such as the XRI Resolution Specification and XRI Metadata
Specification), other OASIS specifications, or (using cross-references)
other standards bodies.

This is as precise a way as I can find to state following policy for
managing the $ namespace:

1) It is intended for standards bodies - really a special subset of the "+"
space where identifiers are specified intentionally rather than organically.

2) OASIS Technical Committees may create specifications that "register"
identifiers in the $ space directly. This means that OASIS is "informally"
responsible for managing the native $ space on a "first-come, first-served"
basis, but only to the extent that two or more OASIS specifications propose
to register the same $ identifiers at the same time (a pretty remote
possibility to begin with, and one that is very easily handled anyway
through the lengthy specification review process). Management of this space
gets even easier since the XRI Metadata spec will reserve all
single-character identifiers for the XRI TC.

2) The $ space is also available to any other standards body simply by using
the standard extensibility mechanism for all XRIs: cross-references. For
example, "$(@OMG)", "$(@IETF)", etc.

I believely this cleanly handles the entire issue.

=Drummond