xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] [Fwd: Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses o f aURL)]

Peter-
	Analyzing and expressing these gaps has been identified by myself
and others as the primary challenge we have in terms of communicating why we
are doing what we are doing, and what the value of our work will be.

	I've specifically been following Sandro Hawke's RDF identifier
proposal - its interesting to see the attention being paid to the *meaning*
of particular URIs because its an area thats largely been assumed would be
"defined elsewhere" by the RDF folks. The problem is that some URI schemes,
especially HTTP, are being used for multiple purposes, perhaps to a fault,
because there is nothing better, and because there are compelling reasons to
reuse URI schemes as much as possible. I think we can communicate why our
requirements meet the relatively high bar for creating a new URI scheme. But
as you point out, we have to make this case to get any sort of credibility.
And I hope in the next few weeks we start to get there with the
requirements.

	-Gabe