xri message

Subject: [xri] minutes of January 23, 2003 XRI TC conference call

Please review the following action items and minutes.  Please send any
comments or clarifications to the email list.

MINUTES OF 2003-01-23 MEETING OF XRI TC
============================
REFERENCE LIST OF ALL ACTION ITEMS ASSIGNED

* ACTION - MARC LEMAITRE: Send revised charter to email list
* ACTION - MARC LEMAITRE: Collect and organize a list of what we
believe qualifies as a resource
* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Add charter revisions to next call's agenda
* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: collect head count of people who will/won't be
going to the face-to-face
* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Send more details about face-to-face to list
* ACTION - REVA MODI:  Send details about call times to list
* ACTION - ALL MEMBERS: Review draft requirements and comment on open
issues (including no open issues -- post that you have no issues if
you have none)
* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Add discussion of requirements to next call's
agenda
* ACTION - GABE WACHOB, PETER DAVIS: Determine details about next call
* ACTION - PETER DAVIS: Send details of next call to list

----------------------------
NEXT CALL

6 February 2003, 2pm PST

[Please email list with other time zones that you would like to see
recorded here - ML]

Call details will be sent to email list.

----------------------------
ATTENDANCE

PRESENT:
  Geoffrey Strongin, Joseph Moeller, Xavier Serret, Phillipe LeBlanc,
  Winston Bumpus, Nat Sakimura, Tomonori Seki, Tetsu Watanabe, Loren
  West, Drummond Reed, Dave McAlpin, Marc LeMaitre, Dave Wentker,
  Rajeev Maria, Mike Lindelsee, Gabe Wachob, Michael Willett, Bill
  Washburn, Eamonn Neylon, Reva Modi, Peter Davis, Thomas Bikeev

ABSENT:
  Krishna Sankar, Jim Shreckengast, Hiro Ogawa, Lark Allen, James
  Bryce Clark, Matthey Dovey

GUESTS:
  Davis McPherson, Chetan Sabnis - Epok Corp.

=====================
MEETING MINUTES

----------------------------------
ROLL CALL

* Roll taken by Mike Lindelsee.
   - Absent: Krishna Sankar, Jim Shreckengast, Hiro Ogawa, Lark Allen,
             James Bryce Clark, Matthey Dovey
   - Guests: Davis McPherson, Chetan Sabnis - Epok Corp.

----------------------------------
APPROVAL OF MINUTES

* Call for comments on minutes of previous call.  No comments voiced.

* Motion to approve minutes of previous call.

DECISION - UNANIMOUS: Minutes of previous call approved.

----------------------------------
ROYALTY FREE LICENSING

* Motion to accept RF policy in TC.

DECISION - UNANIMOUS: Royalty Free policy accepted for TC.

* Concern raised that we might be limiting ourselves by looking only
at RF submissions.
  - are inputs to the TC and the TC's outputs linked by IPR?
  - since the output needs to be RF, do we need to comment on the
    inputs?

* This is supposed to be a clear statement to anyone who brings
submissions to the TC.

* Handle was raised as an example of a possible input that has unclear
IPR status.
  - it was pointed out that reviewing standards or technologies was
    not the same as the TC accepting a submission

* Recommendations were made to use the term "official submissions" and
to clarify the term "submissions."

* Marc LeMaitre proposed new wording for the charter that everyone
seemed happy with.

* ACTION - MARC LEMAITRE: Send revised charter to email list

----------------------------------
CHARTER REVISION

* Do we need to describe why we believe that there are no application
or transport-neutral schemes that satisfy our requirements?

* Should we be more declarative in the charter about what a resource
is?
  - W3C hasn't done this -- they leave the definition of resource to
    the reader
    o This has led to inadequate use of URI's and problems with
      interoperability

* ACTION - MARC LEMAITRE: Collect and organize a list of what we
believe qualfies as a resource

* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Add charter revisions to next call's agenda

----------------------------------
ACCEPTANCE OF XNS SPECS FROM XNSORG, INCLUDING REVIEW OF IPR

* Drummond Reed noted that much time was spent on making sure that the
IPR surrounding the XNS specifications  during the time that the TC
charter was being prepared.  Those terms were accepted by the OASIS board.

* The XNS Specifications v1.0 were formally offered to the TC

* There is follow-on work to the 1.0 specs.  The intent is to
contribute that work as well as soon as it is completed.
  - this will likely be before the face-to-face in February

* The question was raised about the submission being a specification
or a set of specifications.
  - the XNS specification is a collection of specifications collected
    into a single document

* Motion to accept the XNS Specifications v1.0 as a submission.

DECISION - UNANIMOUS: XNS Specifications v1.0 accepted as submission
to TC

----------------------------------
CONSENSUS ON FEB 20-21ST FACE TO FACE MEETING IN FOSTER CITY

* Gabe Wachob asked if the proposed date and location for the
face-to-face (February 20-21, 2003, Foster City, CA, USA) was
acceptable to everyone
  - no response

* A headcount of people who wouldn't be able to attend the
face-to-face was called for
  - 4 or 5 people will be unable to attend (2 due to dates and the
    remainder due to location)

* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: collect head count of people who will/won't be
going to the face-to-face

* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Send more details about face-to-face to list

----------------------------------
REPORT & CONSENSUS ON TIMING OF PHONE CALLS

* Reva Modi reported on her attempt to come up with phone call times
that would work for the group
  - 13 respondents

* 7am might be better than 6am (though that is midnight in Japan)

* It is important that the call schedule doesn't preclude
participation from Asian companies

DECISION: We will continue with alternating 7am and 2pm PST calls

* Reva will request a change if the 2pm calls become too much for her
to manage (3:30am her time)

* It was proposed that the TC use UTC [please correct as necessary, I
wasn't sure which time zone acronym was mentioned - ML] when referring
to times.

* ACTION - REVA MODI:  Send details about call times to list

----------------------------------
REVIEW OF REQUIREMENTS

* The goal is to have the draft requirements close to complete by the
face-to-face.  That means a "baked" version within 2 weeks.

* More framing and motivational text is necessary (as has been shown
by feedback from outside the TC)

* Need feedback on requirements:
  - too technical
  - too high-level
  - does the categorization make sense?
  - are any areas being missed?
  - are there any conceptual holes?
  - are there assumptions that are either bad or not called out?

* Discussion moved offline due to time constraints

* ACTION - ALL MEMBERS: Review draft requirements and comment on open
issues (including no open issues -- post that you have no issues if
you have none)

* ACTION - GABE WACHOB: Add discussion of requirements to next call's
agenda

----------------------------------
PREP FOR NEXT MEETING

* Next call will be on February 6, 2003 at 2pm PST

* Call for volunteers to host the next call
  - Geoffrey Strongin
  - Peter Davis

* Neustar will host the next call

* ACTION - GABE WACHOB, PETER DAVIS: Determine details about next call

* ACTION - PETER DAVIS: Send details of next call to list

MEETING ADJOURNED (See Next Call details at start of message)